Fistula – No more women should have to suffer from it
Fistula is preventable but getting proper treatment is expensive. Several underpriviledged women in Africa, Asia, the Arab region and Latin America are living with the condition, with new cases occurring each year.
What is Fistula?
Obstetric fistula is a hole in the birth canal caused by prolonged obstructed labour without prompt medical intervention, usually a Caesarean section. The woman is left with chronic incontinence and in most cases a stillborn baby.
Social Impact of Fistula
In some communities, due to a lack of education, the condition is seen as a punishment or a curse from God for an assumed commitment of sin. Some women even resort to suicide.
How Can You Make a Difference?
Visit the campaign organised by the UN : http://www.endfistula.org/campaign#get-involved
Once you visit the campaign page you can:
- Take the pledge to End Fistula.
- Share the page on your social media.
- Make a donation to help the UN in their efforts to end fistula.
- Share the fistula campaign page with your family, friends and colleagues.
- Give a short presentation at your work place.
- Speak to the members of your local community.
- Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper.
- Start a fundraiser and get people at your workplace, university etc. to donate.
- Contact large corporations for donations.
- Hold a garage sale.
- Get shop keepers at your local mall to keep donation boxes.
- Sell moments like t-shirts and donate all the proceeds to the cause.
There are plenty of ways that you can make a positive difference. Take action and get involved!